Belief 00106 needs better wording

ArlissWhiteside

Belief 00106 needs better wording

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

Belief 00106: The most effective way we have of increasing the clarity and accuracy of our beliefs is through sharing them with each other and comparing them to understand why any differences in those beliefs exist, so that we become increasingly able to understand what additional information we need in order to come to agreement.

I think this belief should be reworded to ease understanding.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Belief 00106 needs better wording

Post by wvanfleet »

It seems clear to me. How would you say it?

ArlissWhiteside

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

I suggest the wording:

The most effective way we have of increasing the clarity and accuracy of our beliefs is through sharing and comparing them with each other. In this comparing, we may discover clearer and more accurate statements of beliefs. Alternately, we may better understand why differences in beliefs exist, and understand what additional information is needed to come to agreement.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wvanfleet »

Yes, that rewording seems pretty much the same, but I am reluctant to post one belief as three beliefs all in the same post. It makes for more difficult decision-making regarding whether to vote for the belief(s) if a person finds a problem with one of the sentences. I don't know how much difference this actually makes. Currently, it is just an impression of mine and a preference. Others will indeed probably use more than one sentence, and though I don't remember a specific example, I think that I may have used more than one sentence myself occasionally.

Wendy R

Post by Wendy R »

I was looking at 106 today, and wanted to suggest some alterations as well. I would preface statement with "Besides direct investigation, ", as we also learn through our own investigations/research.

Wendy R

Post by Wendy R »

Also, I would break sentence into two parts, or beliefs, myself:
Besides direct investigation, the most effective way of increasing the clarity and accuracy of our beliefs is through sharing them with each other and comparing them to understand why any differences in those beliefs exist.
Through comparing our beliefs, we become increasingly able to understand what additional information we need to come to agreement.

Wendy R

Post by Wendy R »

An additional belief such as following could add the additional goal of people growing closer, unless such is covered elsewhere: Coming to understand each other better through sharing our beliefs helps us connect and bond with each other.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wvanfleet »

Wendy, your above thoughts are thought-provoking. I have initial reactions, but don't trust them. These are some of them.
Coming to understand each other better through sharing our beliefs helps us connect and bond with each other.
I know what you mean, and agree. But putting it into the best words is a challenge. Both "connect" and "bond" are very ambiguous, rather abstract words of a poetic nature. We would need to try to be more specific.
Besides direct investigation, the most effective way of increasing the clarity and accuracy of our beliefs is through sharing them with each other and comparing them to understand why any differences in those beliefs exist.
"Direct investigation" is relatively meaningless, because it can mean almost anything a person did, no matter how prone to production of error it might be. It is precisely
through our own investigations/research
that we come up with erroneous ideas. If that were not true, we would have no need for the complex methods of science, that correct our erroneous ideas and superstitions that we have acquired on our own or adopted from others. The point of the suggested belief is that we should do the opposite of what we tend to do in the face of difference of opinion, namely, we should listen to and try to understand the other person's opinion, and find out why they disagree. It is calling to attention the value of in-depth exploration of difference of opinion, in the face of widespread disapproval of and avoidance of doing so.