Belief #150 Background

ArlissWhiteside

Belief #150 Background

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

I think belief #150, "We should act to ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages," means largely the same thing as the REUEP (belief #3). I have suggested belief #150 using wording from goal 3 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) that were accepted by the United Nations on September 25, 2015. That goal is: "Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages."

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Belief #150 Background

Post by wvanfleet »

It certainly would seem to follow from the REUEP, and might indeed be another way of saying it. I think all of those goals are worthwhile additions to the Belief Manual. (I'm writing this after yesterday's meeting, having gotten the notification of your post after that meeting.)

My preference, as I said yesterday, is to enter the belief into the Belief Manual without reference to the UN goals that it has been extracted from. Over the coming century that reference will be increasingly out of date, whereas the belief will (I assume) still be just as relevant. Also, the recommendation in the Belief Manual is that reference to external sources be avoided, whereas here, in this Forum, such references are highly relevant. And if initials of organizations are given in the Belief Manual, they may be unfamiliar to many visiting the Belief Manual, especially without being defined. Adding definitions of initials of organizations would take up more space in the database, and could easily become outdated material as the centuries proceed.

I'm really glad that you provided us with those UN goals, and when I get the time, I will probably convert each one of them into an ethical belief in the Belief Manual.

You are really helping our project in many ways, Arliss. You are much appreciated!

Bill