pain role in suffering in religions

BENJA

pain role in suffering in religions

Post by BENJA »

Many religions correlate pain with suffering which leads to spiritual enlightenment. What are humanianity thought's pain and suffering? Recently I attended a Buddhist meetup they said pain is a suffering caused from negative karma which is negative actions you have committed in a previous lifetime only way to escape negative karma is to generate positive karma which is in their view do altruism activities. They view pain as a punishment for past actions committed in previous rebirth as they believe in reincarnation. They say when we experience pain we should think of it as an illusion as they say that the mind should be able to tolerate the pain. I do not think this is true we cannot see atoms and electrons they are natural causes for pain and thinking of it as a illusion is inescapable thing to think about or downright wrong. I understand pain is necessary thing to survive I understand it makes us suffer but is there a spiritual nature to it should we think the body as illusion and think of pain as something in the mind and we can get freedom of suffering? Please let me know if you want me to elaborate...

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: pain role in suffering in religions

Post by wvanfleet »

[Many religions correlate pain with suffering which leads to spiritual enlightenment. What are humanianity thought's pain and suffering?]

Humanianity has no thoughts. It is a change occurring in the ethics of our species. I am a Humanian, but that just means that I am committed to living in rational consistency with the Humanian Ultimate Ethical Principle. Different Humanians have different opinions, I can only offer you mine.

[Recently I attended a Buddhist meetup they said pain is a suffering caused from negative karma which is negative actions you have committed in a previous lifetime only way to escape negative karma is to generate positive karma which is in their view do altruism activities. They view pain as a punishment for past actions committed in previous rebirth as they believe in reincarnation.]

I think this reflects our species' belief in the necessity and value of punishment. I believe this belief in punishment is normal and natural, but not good. I think we can get beyond believing in punishment, and our lives will be much better thereby.

[They say when we experience pain we should think of it as an illusion as they say that the mind should be able to tolerate the pain.]

One doesn't necessarily follow the other. I am not sure what is meant by "tolerate the pain."

[I do not think this is true we cannot see atoms and electrons they are natural causes for pain and thinking of it as a illusion is inescapable thing to think about or downright wrong.]

I believe I agree with you.

[I understand pain is necessary thing to survive I understand it makes us suffer but is there a spiritual nature to it should we think the body as illusion and think of pain as something in the mind and we can get freedom of suffering?]

That is not a way I can think. Embedded in this way of thinking is the mind-body problem. https://humanianity.com/homorationalis/hr2000.html

[Please let me know if you want me to elaborate...]

I am interested in knowing what you feel most convinced about regarding how best to try to live.